March 23, 2012

(Re)Designed | Flower Power

I've been inspired to incorporate a new section/series on this blog called (Re)Designed. I hope it inspires a little more creativity and a bit more frugality among all of you.

Whether it's taking inexpensive pre-owned/vintage pieces or taking that dress you haven't worn in a while, recreating new fashion out of "old" fashion is easier than you think. Besides, I'm a firm believer in spending your time and money wisely (i.e. not getting caught up in society's lie of needing to have the latest, greatest, most expensive fashions out there). So here goes...
  
The Before

I know you're questioning my judgment right now. Why in the world was I drawn to this bright, unflattering, bat-wing moo-moo? Well I can't tell you why exactly. I guess I didn't see all the flaws of the dress, I only paid attention to its beautiful potential. Aside from that it was vintage...we're talking the 60's here people. I'm a sucker for vintage pieces.

The After

I think this is a perfect dress for the warmer months ahead of us. I love the light and breathable fabric. But most importantly I adore the bold and bright print on this dress...it screams hello there spring and summer!

 

The Design & Process

To bring to life what exactly I envisioned for this dress I first sketched out my ideas of how I wanted to update/redesign it.  I was going for a modern updated version of a 1960's wiggle dress. The 60-ish patterned fabric on this vintage piece definitely served as my inspiration.

The alterations were fairly easy so here's what I did:

1. Cut the dress so that the hem line would fall a little above the knee.
2. I cut about 6 inches of fabric off each sleeve. I then added 2-3 inverted pleats on each sleeve to create a puff sleeve affect. After this, I hemmed each sleeve with the sewing machine.
3. I sewed up/closed what was left of the right and left side slits.
4. Lastly, I put about a 1/2 inch hem with my sewing machine.





1 comment:

  1. That's really crafty. Good to see that you don't have to buy something someone else has made valuable but you took something "worthless"/out of style and created value. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...